Carrot tops are not just rabbit food. While our furry friends may have known about the delicious and nutritious aspects of these leafy greens longer than we, they shouldn’t have all the fun! They have an earthy, herbal like taste with a hint of the carrots below the stalks. An easy intro to using them in the kitchen is to toss them into your next stock. In a stock, it’s easy to use the entire top. When you’re ready to get a little more adventurous, try out this delicious twist on chimichurri. For this recipe, go for the leafy section, trimming out the stiffer ends.
recipe by Love and Lemons
1 cup finely chopped carrot greens
2 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp cumin
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1. Wash and dry your carrot greens
2. Roast carrots in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes
3. Finely chop carrot greens and mix with dried spices and minced garlic.
4. Stir in vinegar and olive oil.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.
6. Serve with roasted carrots (or other veggies), toasted bread, or over grilled fish or meat.