Farm Direct Coop Member Halley Kamerkar recently shared her delicious cornbread with fellow members at the FDC Annual Kickoff and Potluck. With rave reviews and several requests, Halley wrote down the recipe and shared it here with us. Bon appetit!
Maple (or honey) Sriracha Cornbread
by Halley Kamerkar
Please note: I believe half the credit for the success of this bread comes from the Nordic Ware pan I use to bake.
• 1.5 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1.5 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup milk
• ¾ cup orange juice
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 stick butter, melted
• 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
• Sriracha to taste (I typically use 2-3 Tablespoons)
• ½ stick of butter (melted)
• 3 Tablespoons orange juice
• 2 tablespoons warmed honey or maple syrup
1. Grease the baking pan (if using the honeycomb pan, you have to get ALL the nooks and crannies).
2. Mix the dry ingredients together (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt). In another bowl, whisk together the milk, orange juice, eggs, butter, sriracha, and honey (or maple syrup). Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
3. Bake at 400 until a toothpick emerges clean.
4. Let the bread cool COMPLETELY.
5. When cool, use a toothpick to poke holes in the top of the bread (usually 3-4 per comb).
6. Combine the ingredients for the glaze and warm to a liquid consistency. Pour evenly over the bread. Allow the glaze to absorb for 10-15 minutes before serving.